Thursday 15 September 2011

Notebooks



I'm having a Jeremy Bowen moment.  I've lost my notebook.  It contains thoughts and observations that trigger ideas or cause me to make connections.  All useful stuff for my blog, my work and my studies.  I'm sure it will turn up when I'm not looking for it.  A bit like some of the best ideas I've had!

Unlike Jeremy Bowen's journalist notebook, my book contains stuff that is probably only useful to me and I don't consider the fact that it has gone missing to be a potential security risk.  I saw a notebook in a stationery store once that had on the cover, 'If Found, Don't Publish'!

I can't actually remember what I've written down in it!  True 'in the moment' stuff.  I'm reminded of Dorothea Brande and her advice to writers in her book, 'Becoming a Writer', to do stream of consciousness writing in the mornings and then to put it away only to return at some later date to see what useful material there might be.

Oh well, I have the perfect excuse to buy another lovely notebook...

No comments: