Thursday 3 May 2012

Creative Spaces





(Sarah Greenwood's desk - picture taken at the University of the Arts, London.  Sarah was Production Designer on the Sherlock Holmes film.)


 
I've been reflecting on the last couple of years and my journey through the MICL.  I've come to realise that the space in which I work has quite an impact on my creativity and productiveness.  This in turn has an effect on how I feel.

Whilst tussling with essays, reading academic books and organising my thoughts, I've moved around the house.  I may start off in my home office, move through to the kitchen table and end up in the lounge on a comfy sofa.  At first, I discipline myself with structure, then I make a coffee and create, then I kick back and review what I've written with a cup of tea.  Each seems to take place in a different space.

The climate around these spaces is interesting too.  People, noise, the weather outside and the decor and furnishings in the room all impact on my work.

I've also come to realise that I can't focus in a mess!  Tidying up the workspace prior to starting is crucial.

Here are a few workspaces to look at.  What space suits you?





No comments: